Tuesday 1 November 2011

Links

Video of local birds from John H, the best shot would be the Bassian Thrush, with its quiet, insistant, seeeep seeeeeeep. On YouTube, 100 Mb


Sarah Lloyd describes that magnificent bird often seen on the Bay, the Pelican

http://www.disjunctnaturalists.com/articles1/pelican.htm

 "What seems amazing about Australian pelicans (Pelecanus conspicillatus) is not that they fly far from water, but that such bulky birds can fly at all. Like other birds, however, they are superbly adapted to their lifestyle with some fascinating internal structures and interesting strategies for weight reduction"






 November 2011, thanks to Annette

*      *     *

 Crikey's Bob Gosford's Northern Australia field trip
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2011/10/30/birds-of-the-week-white-bellied-sea-eagle-and-more/

"Earlier this week I drove out to the west coast of the NT’s Gulf of Carpentaria for work. On the first morning out bush I was lucky enough to be up before dawn and wandered down to the foreshore to see what might wander past and into my camera. I’d seen a pair of adult White-bellied Sea-eagles (Haliaeetus leucogaster) the previous evening and the next morning I spotted this bird about a kilometre away roosting on the highest branches of a dead tree."

1 comment:

  1. Hi , on my latest sea spurge,bird walk I encounted a kangaroo, I recognised it by the lenght of its tail !... Brad

    ReplyDelete